Thursday, May 27, 2010

15 Days To Go: The Beautiful Game


Followers of soccer or football or futbol (or whatever you call it) also refer to the sport as 'the Beautiful Game.'

Certainly, long-time fans know why it's beautiful.

Skillful play, impeccable ball handling, expert dribbling and exhilarating goals make us jump out of our seats and tremble with joy.

But where I'm from, the United States, most people would rather watch baseball or golf than 'the Beautiful Game.'

Come 15 days, though and the casual fan will catch a match or two to figure out what the rest of the world finds so fascinating about this strange game.

So for those of you with friends who have no idea what the World Cup is about, I present ...

Today's Tidbits

1 - A World Cup FAQ for your friends who have no idea what the World Cup is about!
For example, say your friend ask, 'How does the World Cup work?'
Well, there's an answer for that and so much more. Make sure to forward it along.

2 - President Barack Obama and former President Bill Clinton welcomed the USA national team to the White House before their departure to South Africa.

"Everybody's going to be rooting for you" Obama said.
No, they won't.
3 - Some bad news: Michael Essien is out of Ghana's World Cup squad. UGGH.
Brazil.
Surprise, surprise.
5 - Another FAQ of sorts for people who don't watch soccer but want to watch the World Cup. This is comprehensive and just awesome in so many ways.
It's good, it's informative and it's very funny ... Read it now!

What I Think I Think

I don't really have anything to say today, so I'll just list some stuff I think.

- I'm not a fan of friendlies. I understand they're important, but they're pointless overall. So until the real matches start in 15 days, I just don't care.

So the US lost to the Czech Republic in a friendly. And? What exactly does that mean and why should I care?

- Speaking of the USA, if they happen to win the World Cup, what would the celebrations be like in the States?

- Who do you think is the favorite going in to the Cup?
For me, it's Spain. Some say Brazil. Others say it's England. Others say it's Holland.
I'd really like it to be Spain. It's their time and they play brilliant football.

Umm, that's it people. I don't have anything more.



No comments:

Post a Comment