Thursday, January 24, 2008

Wide Open Cup of Nations


So now every squad has played one match and what's the outcome?

This is a wide open Cup of Nations. Any number of squads could win this thing, from Nigeria to Ghana.

Here, an article on ESPN's fine football website soccernet.com about the goings-on in Ghana.

Andrew Hush argues that, despite some rough fields and tough journalistic endeavors, the Cup of Nations hasn't disappointed. A small excerpt:

Off the field, from colourful fans through eccentric goalkeeping to inspired celebrations, much of what was expected has been delivered. Between the white lines, however, many of the pre-tournament storylines have, thus far, failed to play out as forecast. The only thing predictable, it seems, is this tournament's unpredictability.


I'd agree.

Thing is, I've yet to really watch a match.
Here in the States, it's beyond frustrating finding the match on television.
I managed to watch the Egypt-Cameroon match online, but I was at work and that link didn't last long.

There are rumors of places in and around Manhattan showing the games, but I can't leave work on rumors alone.

I think it's maddening that this tournament is this hard to find for a football junkie like myself. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough or maybe I've been lazy about it. But I'd think the organizers of this event would like to know the African footballing public in the USA (and there are a LOT of us, trust me) are watching their heroes play back home.

Then again, I shouldn't whine so much. Many countries in Africa aren't televising the event.

Still, I'd love to watch these games without having to revert into a stealth detective. It's ridiculous.

Until I can watch a match, I'll make due with the excellent online commentary I've read and the video highlights I find after games.

No comments:

Post a Comment