Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Cup of Nations Predictions

As the footballing world awaits the opening match of the 2008 African Cup of Nations, I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring and offer a prediction of what I think will happen.

Mind you, I am an African football neophyte. I'm in the process of learning about the squads and the players.
But with my paltry knowledge, I think I know enough to make a decent estimate of what'll happen.

Of course, I STILL haven't found a place to watch the matches. I can't watch them online, as I use a Mac. So none of the web resources will suffice. So I'll cast my line into the water, hope I get a bite before tomorrow and am able to watch these matches ... they don't make it easy for us football fans in the States, do they?

Anyways, here is what I think will happen:

(In order of their finish)
Group A - Ghana, Morocco, Guinea, Namibia
Group B - Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Mali, Benin
Group C - Cameroon, Egypt, Zambia, Sudan
Group D - Senegal, Angola, Tunisia, South Africa

Then, this sets up these matches in the quarterfinals:

Ghana v. Nigeria
Ivory Coast v. Morocco
Cameroon v. Angola
Senegal v. Egypt

Mouth-watering match between Ghana and Nigeria, eh?
Ok, so who makes it through?

Ghana
Ivory Coast
Cameroon
Senegal

The semifinals look like this:

Ghana v. Senegal
Ivory Coast v. Cameroon

Wow ... major matches here.

So the final?

Ghana v. Ivory Coast

And who wins?

Ivory Coast

But that's just my opinion ...

No comments:

Post a Comment