Wednesday, November 14, 2007

2010 Status Update

Every now and again I like to update everyone on my progress towards my original goal of getting to South Africa for the 2010 World Cup.

So how am I doing? Good, I suppose.

The World Cup's a few years away and although I have time, the steps need to be taken now in order to assure I'll be there cheering on Brazil, Spain and the USA.

That's what I'm focusing on right now: How do I get to South Africa?

In the meantime, I'm working on getting to Ghana for the African Cup of Nations in January. That's proving to be a tough cookie. My thinking is that a trip there can boost the blog from a straight rhetorical of the African football world to a true narrative from a soccer lover's point of view of the inner workings of the African game. In other words, instead of cutting and pasting the news, I'll actually be there to report it. That'll make a world of difference.

I'm also still thinking of assisting a children's charity through my work. There's one in particular I'm thinking about but I'll keep that to myself until the time is right. I'm not quite sure how to tie the two together. Does anyone have suggestions?

The rest is just cosmetic:
How do I make the blog look nicer?
How do I tighten the writing?
What's the theme of the writing?
How do I get more people to read the work?
How can I make some money to get to Ghana and South Africa through the writing?

There's so much I want to say and so much I'd like to write about. The question is, how do I get to that point?

This blog writing process has been amazing. I've learned a great deal about Africa and its football through the posts. I'm amazed at the number of people that read the blog and befuddled to see the different places my writing goes. It's all so surreal at times.

I love football. It's a game that's strangely put its talons into my soul and refused to let go. Try as I might, the game seeps into my thoughts, my language, even my dreams. I can't escape it. People may say I'm trying to direct my life to involve football more closely. I'd say that's true. But on top of that, I'd like to use my writing ability (I'd like to think I have a small amount) to inform, educate and entertain.

I'd like to inform you that African football is vivid, colorful and wonderful.
I'd like to say that Africa isn't a sad sack continent as is often depicted in Western media. From the people I've met from there, it's a unique, lively continent, full of joy, full of passion, full of hope for the future.
And of course, I'd like to make you smile, carrying you along with good humor and a smile on my face as we all make our way to the Final game July 11th, 2010.

So I'd say the journey's going as good as it can so far. I'm certainly enjoying the ride. Can't wait to make it to Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment