Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Road to 2010 Update


So we're 409 days away from the opening game of the 2010 World Cup, about 440 days until the Final game that will crown a world champion and the game I want to be at.

How am I doing on the Road to the 2010 Final?

Good and bad.

The good?

- I've learned a great deal about Africa, the World Cup and football in general.
- I've met some amazing people.
- I've made some money!
- I've received some good press and honed my writing skills (I think).

The bad?

- It's a lot harder than I thought!

I hope to get to South Africa without spending a cent of my own money.

I'm not sure this is possible. I've received exciting proposals from readers in Africa that I'm still following up on.

When and if something pans out, I'll let you know.

At the bottom of it all, I want this blog to be:

- Educational. Africa's a varied continent and not just the doom and gloom the Western media would like us to believe. Football is but one way of showing this.
- Fun! Why do this if it isn't fun? The people I've met, the games I've watched ... ALL worth it, so far!
- A source of information for anyone wanting to go to South Africa for the matches. More on that in the next few weeks and months.
- A way to raise money for a charity or two in Africa that deals with children and soccer. More on this, as well.

I have a LONG way to go.

I need to step up my game.


To put it in footballing terms, I'm still in the qualifying round, but I need to get my act together and rally the troops.

ANY and ALL suggestions would be much appreciated. Any HELP would me much appreciated.

Thanks for reading and for accompanying me on the Road to South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment