Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Africans Excited for World Cup


500 days ... 18 months until South Africa hosts the mother of all sporting events: the 2010 World Cup.

Today, FIFA.com has the opinion of high-ranking African sportsmen and officials on the impending football world championships ...

What do you think?
Former Liverpool goalkeeper, Bruce Grobbelaar
For me, it's not about the number of days left. I think we need to celebrate the work that has been done, the energy that has gone towards making the FIFA World Cup a success. We know that there were a lot of people who were saying that Africans cannot organise an event like this and I guess the results are there for everyone to see. I'm looking forward to the tournament. Finally, its Africa's time.

South African football legend and Kaizer Chiefs chairman, Kaizer Motaung
The memories of 15 May 2004 when President of FIFA announced that South Africa would host the World Cup in South Africa are still fresh in my mind. It is hard to believe that we are left with less than 500 days before the kick-off of the world's biggest sporting spectacle. As a former footballer myself, I am honoured that during my lifetime, I have taken part in preparations for the upcoming tournament. There is no doubt, nor has there ever been in my mind, that come 11 June 2010, South Africans will make Africa and the world proud.

Premier Soccer League CEO, Kjetil Siem
This is, arguably the most exciting period in the football history in this country. The countdown to the world's biggest sporting spectacle will no doubt bring about lots of joy as South African soccer lovers gear up to support this event. I'm encouraged to see the progress made and I'm confident that South Africa will pull off the best FIFA World Cup ever. I urge all South Africans to get behind the event as your unwavering support, dedication and commitment to the event will ensure a resounding success.

No comments:

Post a Comment