Tuesday, April 8, 2008

822 Days to Go and a Change in Direction

For some time now, we here at '2010' have talked about change.

I've often said I'm tired of the current format. Cutting and pasting someone else's work doesn't do the reader or the poster any justice.

Just a few months ago, I talked about this very thing.

Well, I'm here to say that after much internal debate, I'm making a move.

The first thing you'll notice is the new design of the site.

Nothing extraordinary. I simply got tired of the dark look of the pages. I needed something more vibrant. Hopefully in the next couple of months, I'll have a more professional layout up.

Next, I want to rededicate myself to the original purpose of this blog.

As the caption above says, this blog is about 'My journey from Brooklyn, New York January 4, 2007 to the World Cup Final match July 11, 2010 in South Africa. How will I get there? I have no idea. Join me as I travel around Africa, write a book, make some friends and watch the beautiful game!'

I'm not in Brooklyn anymore. I've yet to go to Africa. I'm not even sure I have a book in me. But I'm passionate about the game. I love football now more than ever.
And I still want to get to the Final.

And more importantly, I want to help some people along the way ...

I'm not entirely sure how to do this.

But I'll figure something out very soon.

So some may ask: Why do it this way? Why not just buy a ticket to the game?

I stated some reasons for this in a previous post.

Unfortunately I may have to pay, especially if my original intent doesn't pan out.
But where's the fun in that? Where's the sense of adventure?

I want the experience of it. I want to face this challenge and know I can do it.

I've thought about this long and hard.

Cutting and pasting other people's work here doesn't work. You can find that news anywhere. Why come here for it?

So I'm looking for more original content, more feature pieces about football personalities, more fresh commentary about the sport I love.

I've said this before. But I think you'll find I'm staying truer to my pursuit this time around.

Simply put, this is my journey from a passive fan to an active participant in a sport I cherish.

I love this game. But watching isn't enough. I want to affect it, too.

How can I leave a mark and satisfy my passions as well?

How can I get to the Final game in July 2010 and also help people along the way, while having a blast and enjoying the Beautiful Game?

Another way of saying it: This is not just a blog about African football. It was never intended to be. Of course, the focus is on the continent's action as the 2010 Cup is stationed there.

But really, this is a personal journey. About how I love the game and how I want the game to move me in some way.

I hope this doesn't sound too selfish. I suppose in some ways it is.
Maybe that'll change in time.

I think you'll find the purpose isn't that selfish in time to come.

I've struggled long and hard on this. I think this is the right way to go ...

822 days to go. I have a LOT of work to do!

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment