Friday, October 19, 2007

Eto'o Has No Idea If He'll Play African Cup of Nations

Samuel Eto'o is one of Africa's brightest stars.
But he doesn't know if he'll play in next year's African Cup of Nations.

"I will play where they tell me to. I am not the boss," Eto'o said in an interview with Spanish daily Sport on Friday.

"I can't do anything. I understand the club's worries but I also understand my country's concerns. They have to sort it out between them. Txiki (Begiristain, Barca's sports director) has to speak to the Cameroon Football Federation."

Earlier this week, Begiristain said he had asked Eto'o and Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure to skip the tournament which runs from Jan. 20 to Feb. 10 in Ghana.

Eto'o, three-time African Player of the Year, has been sidelined since the beginning of September with an injury to his right thigh, and missed more than four months of last season after needing surgery for a knee injury in the same leg.

He refused to set a date for when he hoped to return to action. Doctors have said they expect Eto'o to be out for at least two months.

"I need to take it little by little because the most important thing is that I return to help the side win. I don't want to come back and be a burden," he said.

I really hope Sam plays for Cameroon. What a shame to not see him in Africa's biggest tournament ...

No comments:

Post a Comment